I saw this quote on social media the other day and I thought WOW that really sums me up to a tee! Some people that know me would say (and actually have!) that I could talk under water with a mouth full on marbles, while others would say I am super quiet and shy. Yes, it is true, I can swing between and introvert and an extrovert depending on the situation I am in and sometimes it just depends on what mood I am in too!
An introvert is someone who is energised by spending time alone. While introverts like to think and be alone, contrary to popular belief, not all introverts are shy. Some introverts have great social lives and love talking to their friends but they just need some time to be alone to “recharge” afterwards. An extrovert is quite the opposite, in that they are generally outgoing and feel energised by socialising.
Turns out I am neither an introvert nor an extrovert but rather I am an ambivert.
1. a person who has a balance of extrovert and introvert features in their personality.
9 Signs that you to may be an Ambivert:
- You are happy to perform tasks solo or in a group.
- You can be comfortable in social situations but you can tire from being around people too much.
- You don’t mind being the center of attention, but you don’t like it to last.
- Some people think you’re quiet, while others think you’re highly social.
- You don’t always need to be moving, but too much down time leaves you feeling bored.
- You can get lost in your own thoughts just as easily as you can lose yourself in a conversation.
- Small talk doesn’t make you uncomfortable, but it can get boring.
- When it comes to trusting other people, sometimes you’re skeptical, and other times you dive right in.
- If you spend too much time alone, you get bored, yet too much time around other people leaves you feeling drained.
I felt called to share on this topic, not to box us into yet another category or to put another label on ourselves, but because I do think it is important to be self aware. For so long I was confused about how I could be so extroverted one minute and then so introverted the next. Too often I have been told that I shouldn’t spend so much time alone or that I need more hobbies or to socialise more (or less!)…you get my drift! Whichever category you fall into it is important to remember that you can choose to spend your free time however you please and you do not need to apologise for that!
I know those around can often find me hard to read and predict, but I am ME and I am simply an introverted extrovert..
Are you an introvert, ambivert or an extrovert?
I would love for you to share your thoughts in the comments below.
Choose peace. Choose Love. Choose Light.